In my classroom, academics are important, but so are many other things. In high school, life is busy and hard. You’re busy, your days are long, and you’re learning the world around you. Science is a wonderful way to help understand the world around you, but there is something to be said for also learning about people and how to interact with people. In this class, the person you are is just as important as the chemistry we learn. Disruptive behavior does not mean “problem child”, but rather that this child is dealing with a problem. Grace and space will be given, as will honesty and accountability. I plan on my students leaving this class competent in chemistry, but also competent in personal and social skills. We are all people before we are students or teachers.

My philosophies within this classroom are influenced by Becoming A Teacher, the topic of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and social-emotional learning. Becoming A Teacher gave me several resources and ways to interact with students that will be beneficial throughout my career. Understanding the importance of the area in which I teach and how my students see that area can affect the lessons I teach, the examples I use, and how I communicate with coworkers. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are vital for success in any aspect of life, but especially when working with students who are growing and learning and absorbing the world around them. Helping my students understand the importance of their identity as well as the identities surrounding them is essential for their education and future career paths after high school. Social-emotional skills are used on a daily basis, no matter the profession one enters. Understanding emotions, critical thinking, and how to resolve conflict is essential for success in life.

I believe that everyone deserves grace:
When 30 children walk into a classroom on the first day, in front of you are 30 different stories, different personalities, and completely different people. There is no way for me to know everything that has happened in a child’s life or in the past 24 hours of their life and I have no reason to judge them for it. Each child and person deserves grace and kindness. Without walking in your shoes, I can’t fully understand. I plan to show every child kindness. I plan to learn about my students as people, but also remember that the hardest things are sometimes things you go through completely on your own and never label students. I plan on going out of my way to help students learn and know that I am a resource for them.

I believe no two children are the same:
No matter how similarly or differently children grow up, they are not the same. Whether they are from the same state, city, neighborhood, or household, they are entirely different. By being different, they do not deserve to be categorized off of each other and deserve to walk in a door and have trust that their teacher is going to help them in a way that is beneficial to them, not only to the person beside them. I plan on having a classroom that is designed to help my students learn, no matter what that looks like for them.

I believe intelligence can be shown in many ways:
Standardized tests can create a great baseline, but they are not the only way to gauge knowledge and understanding. I plan on using labs, reports, assignments, and conversations to gauge understanding. I will allow students to show me they understand in a way that they are comfortable, and I will use that to build lessons and activities for my class.

I believe personal skills are just as important as academic skills:
School is about learning math, science, english, social sciences, and other subjects. School is also about learning leadership, accountability, communicating, patience, and kindness. I plan on using my classroom to teach chemistry, but to also show the importance of personal skills. I plan to hold my students accountable while showing what it looks like and that sometimes we all mess up. I will let my room be somewhere where we can mess up and not be condemned from it, but rather use it to learn and grow as people.

I believe school is about more than a curriculum and standards:
By graduating high school, it is understood that students are proficient in certain academic aspects. It is often overlooked that some students do not see academia as their first priority. School is about extracurricular activities, arts, classes, and friends. I plan to teach science, but I also plan to make sure my students know I see their other interests and I care about them too. I plan to support my students and show them that it is important to build friendships, it is important to find the things that make you happy and that you are passionate about, and that an end of year test does not define your intelligence.

Making Connections:
Scenario B: I will make sure I have several posters on the wall that bring color in my classroom. I want the majority of it to be based around my subject (chemistry) but I also want to have posters that are based around affirming my students and reminders of what they are worth and that they are smart and capable and good people. I will set the desks up in partners or groups of three so the children do not feel isolated. I will also (when possible) add alternative seating to my classroom. When I was in high school, teachers had yoga balls and a couple extra rolling chairs we were able to sit in and it was really helpful to be able to move in a non-distracting way when my ADHD got the best of me. These seats would not be at student’s desks starting out, but they are allowed to get them.

Instruction:
Scenario C: I would wait until my students are engaged in either partner/group work or individual work and wake Carlos up and ask him to talk to me in the hall. While talking, I would assure him he’s not in trouble and ask him why he is sleeping in class. If he says that he’s bored, I would ask him if he would like to have something to work on while I’m going over information or find an alternative activity to participate in and stay busy. I would explain to them I am not trying to assign extra work or make them overly busy, I just want them to be involved and have something to keep them occupied and active during class.

Professionalism:
Scenario E: I would begin by meeting with my principal and asking for more detailed information on why I was listed as “needs improvement”. I would also explain the importance of having a diverse population in my classroom and how I want to make sure that all students feel respected within my classroom. After having this conversation with my principal and understanding what I need to do to have a more respectful environment, I would implement these changes through my room immediately and see what I notice. I would also speak with my students and ask if there is anything they want to see changed or improved within my classroom environment. I would send an anonymous form to ensure that they feel comfortable being honest with me. I would also explain to my class why this is important and that I want to make sure everyone feels respected and safe within my classroom. After a few weeks, I would check back in with my students to see if they feel the changes have been made. I would also reach back out to my principal and see if they have time to stop back by and get their opinion on the changes within my room.

Through my education path, both before entering the field of education and while studying, I have emphasized the importance of understanding people. Students will always be people, though they will not always be in chemistry. Chemistry is a wonderful way for my students to learn the world around them and have hands-on interactions with science, but it is also used to teach students more than just academics. If my students do not leave my classroom knowing they are cared for, safe, and I want the very best for them, I have failed as their educator. Analyzing different scenarios allows me to look at my goals and thoughts for my future in education. I understand what is important to me and how I can tie life in lessons that may seem isolated from their lives, such as catalysts and matter conservation.